If you suffer from chronic or acute neck pain, you know how debilitating it can be. Chronic pain causes constant discomfort and impacts your ability to complete daily tasks. The good news: you don’t have to suffer any longer. Actions as simple as stretching your neck and breaking bad habits can provide lasting relief.
To learn more about what causes neck pain and what OSR treatments actually provide relief, keep reading.
Causes of Neck Pain
Determining the underlying cause of your neck pain before seeking treatment or making lifestyle changes is the first step in finding lasting relief. Neck pain generally stems from weakened neck muscles that have been dislocated from their proper position. Various actions can cause this neck pain to develop.
Here are the main causes of neck pain:
- Poor posture
- Looking down for prolonged periods
- Extended driving time
Stiff Neck Symptoms
A stiff neck produces certain symptoms until you address the issue. This list includes the most common symptoms of a stiff neck:
- Ringing in the ears
- Soreness when moving head in any direction
- Numbness and tingling in arms and hands
- Discomfort in the neck or back of the head
- Tightness in the neck and shoulder muscles
- Pain in the shoulders and upper back
Neck Pain Relief Treatments That Work
If you’re wondering how to fix a stiff neck, we’ve got seven treatments, at-home remedies, and lifestyle changes that can provide lasting relief for neck pain.
- Perform stiff neck exercises, like gentle stretches. Yoga is one activity you can do to perform these stretches.
- Apply heat or ice.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Try massage therapy.
- Swap out your bed pillow, or try sleeping in a different position. Never sleep on your stomach, as it forces your neck to rest at a sharp angle for hours at a time.
- Practice correct posture.
- Avoid looking down at your phone or other objects for extended periods.
What Is Spinal Stenosis?
Spinal Stenosis is a condition people develop when the spinal canal narrows, putting pressure on the spinal cord and nerve roots. This narrowing is caused by either bone spurs (small bony growths) or a herniated disc (the soft, gel-like center of an intervertebral disc pushes through a tear in its tough outer layer).
Spinal Stenosis symptoms include:
- Lack of coordination
Spinal Stenosis exercises for symptom relief:
- Strengthening exercises
- Chair exercises
- Water therapy
Physical Therapy for Neck Pain
If none of the treatments discussed above provide relief, physical therapy may help. A physical therapist will have you perform neck stretching and strengthening exercises to heal the strained muscles. These gentle movements will increase your range of motion and relieve your neck pain. Perform these physical therapy neck exercises daily for optimal results.
Find Relief at OSR Physical Therapy
If you suffer from chronic or acute neck pain, OSR Physical Therapy is here to help. By providing exceptional outpatient physical therapy and superior customer service, our physical therapists will help get you back to living your best life pain-free. When you need quality rehabilitation delivered through personalized care, trust the experts at OSR Physical Therapy. Contact us today!